Propane Safety in the Greater Dallas Area
At Cadenhead Servis Gas, we pride ourselves on providing propane to residents and businesses throughout North Texas. While we believe propane is one of the safest fuel options for your home’s or business’s fueling needs, ensuring your propane safety is one of our top priorities. That’s why we’re here to provide you with information that you should keep in mind in case you ever experience a propane emergency. To keep you and your family informed, we highly recommend reading this page and even saving it for future reference.
Smelling Propane Gas
All propane has an added odorant to aid in detection. The odor smells like rotten eggs, a skunk’s spray, or a dead animal. If you believe you smell propane gas in your North Texas home or business, follow the steps below right away.
If You Smell Propane on Your Greater Dallas Property
- NO FLAMES OR SPARKS. Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire.
- LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY. Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.
- SHUT OFF THE GAS. Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
- REPORT THE LEAK. From a neighbor’s home or other nearby building away from the gas leak, call us right away. If you can’t reach us, call 911 or your local fire department.
- DO NOT RETURN TO THE BUILDING OR AREA until a Cadenhead employee, emergency responder, or qualified service technician determines that it is safe to do so.
- GET YOUR SYSTEM CHECKED. Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, Cadenhead Servis Gas or a qualified service technician must check your entire system to ensure it is leak-free.
Emergency Service in North TX
Cadenhead Servis Gas provides our residential and commercial customers with emergency service to help keep you and your loved ones safe. We’re just a call away! Contacting us by phone is the fastest way to reach our on-call technicians—be sure to give us a call rather than using our online contact form or email address. Thank you for your understanding.